Proper circulation is the foundation of a healthy body and a sound mind. It guarantees our cells and internal organs receive the nutrients and oxygen they need to function normally. It also ensures our waste products are properly eliminated. Letting our circulatory system work as nature intended can be challenging these days but fortunately we can restore proper circulation safely and naturally through simple and smart choices.
How to improve blood circulation safely and smartly
- Choose your food. Eating a proper diet doesn’t mean starving yourself or foregoing your favorite comfort food, it simply means making sure your body gets all the nutrients it needs. To achieve a balanced diet, 25-35% of your daily caloric intake must come from healthy fats. Your other 25-35% has to come from protein, preferably lean. Your remaining 25% will come from carbohydrates, which includes some fruits, vegetables, and your whole grains.
- Get some exercise. Physical activity gets our blood pumping, improves our mood and clears our mind. Exercising is literally the best and most immediate way to energize our circulatory system.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is the best thirst quencher, hydrator and detox drink, and our bodies need at least eight glasses of it daily. Contrary to popular belief, drinking water at room temperature is not necessarily more beneficial than cold water, it all boils down to preference so drink water in the temperature you prefer.
- Get a massage. A massage works like exercise, it helps with our circulation. Instead of shopping or getting your nails done to release stress, get a massage. You will feel better after and your body will thank you.
- Be creative. Making clever food choices go a long way in sustaining your resolve to eat a proper diet. If you can’t forgo potato chips, pick a brand low in sodium, bakes their chips and uses non-gmo potatoes. If you’re hankering for a burger, get a burger that’s lean and grilled, and eat only half.
Being healthy goes beyond food and extends to lifestyle changes like walking instead of taking a 5-minute cab ride and using the stairs instead of riding the elevator up a floor or two. If you can’t avoid sitting in front of the computer all day because of workload, you can still choose health by pausing every 2 hours to stand up, stretch, and take a few deep breaths. Wear compression socks to help blood from your legs flow back to your heart. Avoid synthetic materials such as nylon and prefer high-quality cotton-based compression socks that are hypoallergenic and naturally comfortable.
Take care of yourself.
Promoting proper blood circulation can be surprisingly easy if we go about it smartly. All we need is resolve and a better sense of self-awareness to appreciate how proper circulation ensures we can live our lives to the fullest.